My research focuses on social interactions and how they’re impacted by technology. I study both human-human interactions and human-machine interactions, and how they fit together in the broader social ecosystem. I’m currently pursuing research questions about perceptions and behaviors elicited by artificial social agents, which combine features of devices, communication media and social beings. My hope is to find ways to leverage new technologies to support rather than erode or replace human interactions and enhance mental health and well-being.
- Law, T., Chita-Tegmark, M., & Scheutz, M. (2020). The interplay between emotional intelligence, trust and gender in human-robot interaction. International Journal of Social Robotics, 1-13.
- Chita-Tegmark, M., & Scheutz, M. (2020). Assistive robots for the social management of health: A framework for robot design and human-robot interaction research. International Journal of Social Robotics, 1-21.
- Valenti, A. P., Chita-Tegmark, M., Tickle-Degnen, L., Bock, A. W., & Scheutz, M. J. (2019). Using topic modeling to infer the emotional state of people living with Parkinson’s disease. Assistive Technology, 1-10.
- Chita-Tegmark, M., Ackerman, J. M., & Scheutz, M. (2019). Effects of Assistive Robot Behavior on Impressions of Patient Psychological Attributes: Vignette-Based Human-Robot Interaction Study. Journal of medical Internet research, 21(6), e13729.
- John, A. M. S., Kao, K., Chita-Tegmark, M., Liederman, J., Grieve, P. G., & Tarullo, A. R. (2017). A within-subjects experimental protocol to assess the effects of social input on infant EEG. JoVE (Journal of Visualized Experiments), (123), e55596-e55596.
- Chita-Tegmark, M. (2016), Attention allocation in ASD: a review and meta-analysis of eye-tracking studies. Review Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 3(3), 209-223.
- Chita-Tegmark, M. (2016), Social attention in ASD: A review and meta-analysis of eye-tracking studies. Research in developmental disabilities, 48, 79-93 (178 citations).
- Chita-Tegmark, M., Arunachalam, S., Nelson, C. A., & Tager-Flusberg, H. (2015). Eye-tracking measurements of language processing: Developmental differences in children at high risk for ASD. Journal of autism and developmental disorders, 45(10), 3327-3338.
- Chita-Tegmark, M., Gravel, J.W., Serpa, M de L, Domings, Y., & Rose, D.H. (2012). Using the Universal Design for Learning framework to support culturally diverse learners. Journal of Education 192(1): 17-22
- Meia Chita-Tegmark, M., Law, T., Rabb, N. & Scheutz, M. (accepted). Can you trust your trust measure?. In 2021 International Conference on Human-Robot Interaction (HRI). IEEE
- Frasca, T., Chita-Tegmark, M., & Scheutz, M. (accepted). Enabling fast instruction-based modification of learned robot skills. AAAI 2021.
- Buckingham, D., Chita-Tegmark, M., & Scheutz, M. (2020, November). Robot planning with mental models of co-present humans. In International Conference on Social Robotics (pp. 566-577). Springer, Cham.
- Valenti, A., Block, A., Chita-Tegmark, M., Gold, M., & Scheutz, M. (2020, June). Emotion expression in socially assistive robot for persons with Parkinson’s disease. In Proceedings of the 13th ACM international conference on pervasive technologies related to assistive environments (pp. 1-10).
- Valenti, A., Chita-Tegmark, M., Gold, M., Law, T., & Scheutz, M. (2019, November). In their own words: A companion robot for detecting the emotional state of persons with Parkinson’s disease. In International Conference of Social Robotics (pp. 443-452). Springer, Cham.
- Kasenberg, D., Roque, A., Thielstrom, R., Chita-Tegmark, M., & Scheutz, M. (2019). Generating justifications for norm-related agent decisions. In Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Natural Language Generation (pp. 484-493).
- Chita-Tegmark, M., Lohani, M., & Scheutz, M. (2019, March). Gender effects in perceptions of robots and humans with varying emotional intelligence. In 2019 14th ACM/IEEE International Conference on Human-Robot Interaction (HRI) (pp. 230-238). IEEE
- Valenti, A., Chita-Tegmark, M., Law, T., Bock, A., Oosterveld, B., & Scheutz, M. (May, 2019), When your face and tone of voice don’t say it all: Inferring emotional state from word semantics and conversational topics. In Workshop on Cognitive Architectures for Human-Robot Interaction (AAMAS 2019).
- Thielstrom, R., Roque, A., Chita-Tegmark, M., & Scheutz, M. (2020, November). Generating explanations of action failures in a cognitive robotic architecture. In 2nd Workshop on Interactive Natural Language Technology for Explainable Artificial Intelligence (pp. 67-72).